POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested) : Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested)
From: dan B hentschel
Date: 27 Sep 2004 09:20:00
Message: <web.4158123d5dc55178a3fcf12a0@news.povray.org>
I have posed an image of my first attempt at photon usage in the
povray.binaries.images group. Take a look. It's pretty ugly. I thought I'd
give it a try since the image is full of reflective and refractive
surfaces, and seems to be just begging for photons to be enabled. I know
there's a lot of settings I can play with, but I'd appreciate some pointers
if someone more experienced is willing. Here is how I currently have it
implemented:

In global_settings:

    photons {
        count 1000000
        autostop 0
        load_file "block.pho"
    }

In my area_light:

  photons {
      refraction on
      reflection on
      area_light
  }

In each clear plastic structure:

    photons {
        target
        refraction on
        reflection on
        collect off
    }

In each mirror/metal structure:

    photons {
        target
        reflection on
        collect off
    }

And that's pretty much it. Pretty basic stuff. All the other surfaces/lights
do not have a photons block in them at this time. I figured I'd start out
simple and then try to tweak from there. I was so shocked at the disgusting
results, though, that I decided to ask for recommendations before
proceeding. I must be doing something horribly wrong. :-) Thanks for your
time.

 - dan B hentschel